Emergency Medical Evacuation and repat
This is an Optional Vital Element and is only covered if it is shown on Your Certificate of Insurance. If You want to add this to Your Vital In-patient Plan then please contact Us. Insured Event is deemed to include Accident or Illness occurring outside the Area of Cover for the purposes of Emergency Treatment only within the applicable Policy Limit.
For premiums please refer to the Plan Builder
Terms and conditions
If during the Period of Insurance an Insured Event occurs either inside or outside the Area of
Cover and which, in Our Medical Advisor’s opinion requires the Insured Person’s Emergency
Medical Transfer or Evacuation the following benefits are applicable.
- We will arrange and pay all necessary costs for the Insured Person’s medical transportation to the nearest suitable and appropriate Hospital, which may be in a country other than the one where the Insured Event occurs. If the Insured Person has been Hospitalised as the result of the Insured Event, We may arrange for the Insured Person’s medical transfer to a Hospital which is more suitably equipped or more suitably specialised to treat his / her condition.
- If Our Medical Advisor agrees that it is in the Insured Person’s best interests to arrange for Emergency Medical Transfer or Evacuation to a country outside the geographical area then We will meet all subsequent medical costs of necessary Treatment agreed by Our Medical Advisor in such country.
- The most appropriate means of transport available locally will be used. If by air We will employ a regular scheduled or charter airline, or, if Medically Necessary in the opinion of Our Medical Advisor, a specially chartered air ambulance. If the Insured Person had been travelling by plane, transport will be in the same class as the original airline ticket (unless medical needs prescribe otherwise), but if they were not, transport will be by the airline’s economy / tourist class (unless medical needs prescribe otherwise).
- When Our Medical Advisor considers necessary, We will arrange and pay for a medical escort to accompany the Insured Person.
SPECIFIC CONDITIONS APPLYING TO
EMERGENCY EVACUATION & REPATRIATION
- Our Medical Advisor’s decision is final and We are entitled to refuse any request which is incompatible with their opinion of the Insured Person’s medical condition and safety.
- Our Medical Advisor will set up the medical team and resources to be used as and when appropriate, to ensure the Insured Person’s safety during the Emergency Medical Transfer or Evacuation.
- If the Insured Person rejects the assistance procedures We propose then We shall be released from Our obligations under this Section Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation.
SPECIFIC EXCLUSION APPLYING TO EMERGENCY EVACUATION & REPATRIATION
We shall not be responsible for nor pay for any subsequent transfer costs arising out of the same Insured Event once We have returned the Insured Person to their Country of Residence.